To configure a web part, click on the blue bar containing the name of the web part you wish to configure.
To edit content, select any of the editable regions below.
||The Edmonton Country Club was formed in 1896 and members played on a five-hole course situated on the land presently occupied by the Legislative building and grounds.
In 1911, the Edmonton Country Club obtained a Provincial Charter and purchased the land at its present location. Part of the course now in use, plus an area in the lower flat land, was being played upon in 1913. The first Clubhouse at this location burnt down two months after the Grand Opening and was promptly rebuilt around the original fireplace, where it stood for 43 years.
The old stables for member’s horses are now only memories and the accommodation for members who became marooned by impassable roads in rainy weather are no longer needed.
Over the years many changes were made in the layout of the course. There were two major changes, the first took place between 1933 and 1935 when the ‘back nine’ was moved from the lower flats to the upper terrain it now occupies. This required the purchase of new land and sale of the bottomland below the Clubhouse. The second major change occurred in the mid 1940s when renowned golf course architect Stanley Thompson made significant changes to many tee and green locations in order to bring the natural ravines that meander through the property into play.
In 1956, a new ‘modern’ Clubhouse was built. There were many other additions and changes over the years and improvements to the Golf course, parking lot and road access into the Club from the City of Edmonton.
A great change to the Club was made with construction of the elegant Clubhouse facility in 1989. Undertaken by the members and in some instances actually constructed by the members, this facility stands as evidence to the dedication and effort of Edmonton Country Club members to provide the finest Clubhouse and test of Golf in the City of Edmonton.
The Club’s centennial celebrations took place in 1996. As the highlight of the celebration the Club hosted the 1996 LPGA du Maurier Classic. The du Maurier Classic was one of the four majors on the LPGA Tour. The event attracted the world’s best players, all playing for a share of the $1 million U.S. purse. In the end, Laura Davies emerged as the Classic Champion in 1996.
There are many interesting and amusing stories to be told about the exploits and adventures of members from the horse and buggy era to present time. The Club has not yet finished the polo grounds started in 1913, nor does it now maintain milk cows for the staff. The streetcar line has not yet reached the Club and the building lots on the second nine that were surveyed in 1913 have only recently been developed.
The Club has been and will continue to be one of the great landmarks of the City of Edmonton, and a proud monument of the faith and work of its members.